Happiness Is...

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Exercise in the great outdoors means different things to different people...

I've probably come to this realization before, but today while running with Paul, it definitely became more apparent.

Paul led the approximately 3 mile jaunt about our neighborhood, and apparently it is the route he typically takes. When we turned onto 35th St. NE and remained on the main street of Wedgwood, I was quite surprised. The street was extremely busy and not to mention noisy. After about fifteen or so blocks, we turned onto yet another active road - NE 75th St.

From my perspective, I like to enjoy my surroundings before I can even begin to appreciate the physical benefits of exercise. This is especially the case with regard to running; its not an activity that I have ever really taken pleasure in. During our run, I felt that the activity around us was overly distracting, and I wasn't able to really focus on anything: from attempting to maintain a pace that wouldn't make me pass out, to thinking through whatever topics that were at the forefront in my mind. The run just wasn't putting me in a peaceful place, and I guess that is something that I really needed.

For Paul, he is less concerned with the environment that surrounds him, but is more focused on ensuring he gets a good work out. And again, since he has been running for quite some time, and perhaps that has something to do with it. But it seems that he exercises just for the sake of it, and doesn't actually enjoy it, or the things around him.

Perhaps once I become more comfortable with running, and other cardio activities, I too will be able to filter out most distractions. Until then I'll stick to my course through the hushed side streets of the neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home